Payed ads (Passionfruit, Adproval, Adlet, etc.)
1. If you have money, buy the in-post ad instead of the sidebar ad. They'll bring you more traffic and you'll be the "VIP sponsor". (Buy sidebar ads only if there are only couple spots on the blog.)
2. Make sure you know exactly what is included in your sponsor month and make sure you get what you were promised. (Social media love, guest post, giveaway etc.)
3. Before buying the ad, email the blogger. How many times will she/he post during your sponsor month? Is there something you could do? This email will motivate the blogger. Also if there're concerns on your mind, email during your sponsor month. You are the customer.
4. If possible, change your ad image during your sponsor month.
5. If the blogger offers you a chance to be part of a giveaway, don't hesitate!
1. These might break your heart. Just kidding. But it is true that swapped ads are usually tiny and under everything else. Your ad gets lost among other tiny ads. So don't expect tons of traffic. Be happy of small victories :)
2. If possible, change your ad image during your swap month.
3. Remember to be a good swap partner.
About the ad
1. Find out what kind of ads will be around yours and design one that will stand out.
2. Make it the right size so Passionfruit (etc.) doesn't make it look weird.
What have you learned about advertising your blog?